Jameel Clinic Collaboration Grants: Request For Proposals
Only MIT PIs are eligible to apply.
Deadline: March 8th, 2021
Jameel Clinic will sponsor three broad classes of research projects in this space:
1. Life Sciences AI: Development of ML algorithms for solving fundamental questions in disease biology
2. Therapeutics AI: Development of ML algorithms for drug discovery, including molecular modeling, target discovery, and de novo design
3. Clinical AI: Development of ML algorithms for diagnostics, modeling disease progression and personalized medicine
Special consideration for projects with a focus on pancreatic, breast, lung, prostate and liver cancer; cerebrovascular and cardiovascular diseases; and multimodal approaches to AI (EHR, genomics, computer vision, NLP). Any hard to treat tropical diseases will be considered as well as projects that promote commercialization and entrepreneurship.
Proposal Submission Requirements and Guidelines
Faculty and Senior researchers with PI status are invited to submit a 3 page proposal (every PI can submit a single proposal). Junior faculty are encouraged to apply.
Proposals should be submitted electronically here no later than midnight March 8th, 2021. Proposals will be reviewed by the steering committee which includes Jameel Clinic leadership, MIT faculty and representatives from the healthcare community. Decisions will be announced by April 10th, 2021 and the projects will start on May 1st, 2021.
The proposal has to include:
(1) Goals and impact of the proposed ideas in the healthcare/AI space
(2) Technical plan
(3) Expected deliverables and evaluation mechanism
(4) Appropriate permissions for access to clinical data
(5) A budget for resources needed to conduct the work proposed using the current Institute rates
Proposals that focus on clinical topics must include a plan for deployment to a broad range of clinical institutions.
Typical total funding ranges from $100,000 to $150,000 ($300,000 exceptional cases). No sub-awards accepted.
Building the Jameel Clinic Community:
PIs funded through this program are expected to contribute to the development of the Jameel Clinic initiative. This includes participation in Jameel Clinic events and working to shape the ML/healthcare initiative at MIT.
If you have any questions, comments or concerns, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Expected Outcomes of the Funded Research:
• Final report of results (4-5 pages per project) and accomplishments. This should highlight the student(s) or postdoc(s) funded.
• Contribution of new tools or algorithms developed to the Jameel Clinic repository.
• Acknowledge Jameel Clinic in relevant published work.
• Participation and support of the Jameel Clinic Community.
Funded PIs will be expected to become members of Jameel Clinic and actively contribute to the area of AI and Healthcare and the Jameel Clinic community.
If you have any questions, please email email@example.com.